Monday, November 8, 2010

Finally!

Pres. Obama's endorsement of a permanent seat for India on the UN Security Council has a significance that goes well beyond the question of India's membership: it is an explicit, highly public announcement of U.S. recognition that the Security Council is in need of reform generally. I could be wrong, but my impression is that this is the clearest statement on the matter that a U.S. president has made. It was overdue. I guess one thing this shows is that eventually, after thousands of analysts and pundits write thousands of words about something (in this case, the need for Security Council reform), someone in the government may notice. (Yes, that last sentence is unfair. But not completely.)

P.s. More on this in a future post.

P.p.s. Erik Voeten, The Monkey Cage's man on these matters, offers his take here.

2 comments:

hank_F_M said...

An interesting comment from an Indian National Interst blog.

LFC said...

Thanks for the link. I agree with some of the comment. I strongly disagree with the statements to the effect that the UN doesn't matter ("has little value in today's age" I think is the wording).