Monday, August 5, 2013

The 1970s on screen

A couple of months ago Nils Gilman had a post on best movies of the 1970s.

For reasons that (1) I'm not altogether sure about, and (2) even if I were, might well be too lazy to spell out, I think the movie from this period that sticks with me the most is Apocalypse Now. I also remember some of the era-defining blockbusters, such as Jaws and Star Wars (the 1977 one), quite well. In the case of Apocalypse, in more recent years I saw 'the director's cut' that was released in theaters, with several scenes restored that were not in the version originally shown.

It just occurred to me, writing this post, that there are several movies from the '70s (early in the decade) that I recall that don't show up on N. Gilman's lists: Patton (1970), MASH (1970), The Andromeda Strain (1971), Cabaret (1972), The Day of the Jackal (1973).

(The Andromeda Strain has a sort of special meaning for me, not because I remember it esp. well -- I don't -- and not because it was a great movie -- it may or may not have been, at this remove I can't say -- but for reasons quite extraneous to the movie that I don't want to get into. Sorry to be cryptic. It's not 'first date' or anything like that.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He must love "The Exorcist," he listed it twice ...

I'm a bit surprised how many of those films I've seen, given what an erratic movie-watcher I am ... "Network" may be the most egregious omission. For some reason, "Apocalypse Now" is my favorite from the 1970s.

The NYT Sunday Mag yesterday claimed that "Jaws" is unfairly blamed for the mindless-summer-blockbuster genre, whereas it's practically arthouse in its slow build of suspense, by comparison.

I'm not sure whether "Patton" is a good movie, or just a good chance for George C. Scott to chew up the scenery ... compare "There Will Be Blood."

LFC said...

Agreed on most of this.

I think 'Patton' prob. is a pretty good movie -- tho it's been a long time since i've seen it and i'm not sure how well it has worn.

'There Will Be Blood' I sort of liked -- tho yes, it was largely a vehicle for Daniel Day Lewis to Act (capital "a").

Speaking of Patton, couple of interesting WW2-related obits recently; will try to round up the links.